Once upon a time the centre division of the Newmarket bowling green was “gaily decorated with flags and potted plants”. Fast forward to 2015 – overgrown vines and graffiti…
A pile of concrete rubble suggests the location of the main bowling clubrooms, past this a broken pathway leads to the old green keepers house, one of the few structures in the grounds that survived Auckland Council’s demolition efforts in the last few years.
Also known as Carlton Bowling, Croquet and Lawn Tennis, the club roots go back to 1886, with a move to the new spot here in Epsom during 1912. The site was sold in the early 2000s and the club moved again, leaving this historic property dormant and awaiting development.
Check out other forgotten places here!