The Crosshouse at Miringa te Kakara is an ancient Maori Whare Wananga (House of Learning) and training centre for Tohunga. Sadly this mythical building fell into ruin and was burnt down…
It lives on in memory, via regular guided pilgrimage tours and through these photographs by Janine and Ron Raison. A Marae has now been constructed in the place of the original Crosshouse which is located in the Waikato region of New Zealand.
One source claims the building was first constructed in 1682 (and renovated in 1887), however, ‘New Zealand History‘ states it was built in 1887 by Te Ra Karepe and Rangawhenua. From a birds eye view the building is in the shape of a cross with 4 entrances, and is inline with ancient solar, lunar and navigational standards across the hemisphere. Note how the grass is dark green and lush around the surrounding paddocks, and a lighter colour around the sacred Miringa te Kakara ruins as seen below.
Image below shows the view inside the Crosshouse, and four points of the compass, carved into wood. Close by to the Crosshouse are the Kings House and Round House, seen below.
An amazing feature of this sacred site are incredible wooden pegs, one for each star in the Heavens, perfectly mapped out over a 50 mile radius. The below images show three of the astrological pegs and ‘the Great Triangle in Heaven on Earth’ a map showing the location of the pegs and stars.
It has been a pleasure to have a glimpse into an extraordinary place of Maori history, special thanks to Janine and Ron Raison for permission to use these photographs, and Orlando Stewart for the recommendation.
Do you have a suggestion that could be featured on this website? Contact here!